Okay, I feel like this blog is in danger of becoming really boring, "We left X and arrived at Y." So I will tell you about my new role model/idol.
Shortly after arrival in Port Townsend
The first landmark Asterix cleared after leaving Port Townsend was Point Wilson
We made it to Sidney - a long, almost 12-hour trip for Asterix, about half that time for the road crew. However, it took the road crew an hour to get through customs, while it was only a brief phone call from the marina for Asterix.
Asterix just coming in to the harbor in Sidney on Monday evening. There's a big-ass mountain in the background. Maybe the one over by Whistler that I can't remember the name of? Garibaldi? Or something like that? It was a really long crossing, and so we took an extra day off in Sidney. Didn't really do anything except run a few errands, take showers, and get hot, tired, and cranky (me, see below).
I had to send out a brief email for work, and either MS Outlook or the internet wasn't working for me - I'm not sure which. I got really stressed out, but later remembered my idol from the Port Townsend fuel dock. I swear I'm going to try to be better about my response to problems! Like I said, he's my new hero. This evening I tried the wifi at the restaurant we're at, and the emails went out fine, so all's good.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the layout of Sidney Harbor:
We pulled into G Dock, where Customs is supposed to be. There was a beat-up old phone booth there. No dial, just a handset. I picked it up, and a voice came on the line: "Welcome to Canada Customs and Immigration. For English, press 1. Pour Francais, 2." I looked at the place where a normal phone would have some numbers... Eventually, a nice lady in Ottawa came on the line, in English. After I explained where Sidney was, she assigned Asterix a 12 digit number that made us legal in Canada.




In retrospect, are you sure the fuel gauge doesn't work? Maybe you hadn't used enough fuel for it ti register.
ReplyDeleteNo, previous owner told us right before we left Des Moines that the fuel gauge does not work.
ReplyDelete